The NewsDemon Blog
By Daniel Li April 10th, 2012
For many who have used a newsreader for a number of years to access newsgroups will remember the transformation many of them made and how capable they grew to be once Windows XP was released. Many still use the most popular OS today as it had been the most stable release Microsoft had achieved by that point.
However, as of today, you have exactly two years left to get support on your Windows XP-powered computers. The same goes for Microsoft Office 2003. Okay, so it’s not exactly time to flip over the sand timer, but it is finally a real milestone that points to the death of an operating system that, for years and years and years, simply would not die. And it means that hordes of companies around the country are finally going to need to upgrade.
Okay, so it isn’t the most radical move we’ve ever seen, but it looks like this time, Microsoft won’t change its mind and end up extending the support deadline.
Microsoft stopped selling retail copies of XP in 2008. Just like XP, support for Office 2003 will also end in April 2014, so Microsoft is also using this occasion to remind these users that Office 2010 is indeed a viable alternative to an office suite that was released.
When Microsoft pulls XP’s plug, it will have maintained the OS for 12 years and 5 months, or about two-and-a-half years longer than its usual practice and a year longer than the previous record holder, Windows NT, which was supported for 11 years and 5 months.
Without a doubt the most significant base that is driving this shift is the enterprise market. For companies and organizations that own hundreds, or even thousands, of computers, upgrading is not an easy or affordable process.
But Microsoft is now finally ending support for XP users, and Windows 7 is much more user-friendly and upgrade-worthy than its predecessors.
Subscribe to our blog!
- Lifehacker Users Vote NewsDemon Top USENET Provider
- Do You Have Blazing Fast USENET Access?
- One Day Sale: Four Months Of Unlimited USENET for $20.14
- NewsDemon Black Friday 2013 Special Extended
- NewsDemon.com Newsgroups Grand Prize Winner Announced
- NewsDemon.com Newsgroups Holiday Giveaway Part 2
- NewsDemon Holiday Giveaway Winner For November 19th
- NewsDemon Holiday Giveaway Winner For November 18th
- NewsDemon Holiday Giveaway Winner For November 17th
- NewsDemon Holiday Giveaway Winner For November 16th
- NewsDemon Holiday Giveaway Winner For November 15th
- NewsDemon Holiday Giveaway Winner November 14th
- NewsDemon Holiday Giveaway Winner For November 13th
- NewsDemon Holiday Giveaway 2013 Starts Now
- NewsDemon Now Offers geo-DNS For Faster Connections
- NewsDemon Newsgroups 1TB Non-Expring Block Account Fire Sale
- NewsDemon Newsgroups Announces Upcoming Sale
- NewsDemon Newsgroup Announces 5 Year Binary Retention
- NewsDemon July Promotion
- NSA-Proof VPN Connections Available Through NewsDemon
- NewsDemon Now Offers Cosmos IP Addresses With SlickVPN
- Cable Company Admits To Data Caps On USENET Users
- IBM Leads In Nanotube Technology
- Minnesotta Outlaws Online Education
- UK Provider Virgin Media Offers Faster Speeds
- NewsDemon Now Offers 1500 Days Binary Retention
- New Computers Already Infected with a Virus?
- Canada Data Caps Affect Netflix and USENET Users
- Your ISP Could be Providing Faster Speeds than Advertised
- NewsDemon Offers Header Compression On All Newsgroups
- Google Enters the ISP Game, Offering Fast Access to USENET
- No Office 2013 Availability for XP, Vista, Mac Users
- Potential Breakthrough in Likely Discovery of Higgs Boson Particle
- New USENET Posted Study Looks at Teen Activity Online
- Internet Conceptualized in 1934?
- More Bits and Pieces from the Star Trek Sequel on USENET
- Solutions to Avoid Constantly Resetting Your Router
- Excitement Over Adobe Creative Suite 6 and Creative Cloud Releases
- World Wide Web Inventor Voices Privacy Concern On USENET
- Microsoft Pulls The Plug On Windows XP
- What Is Dr. Watson’s Contribution To Cancer Research?
- Microsoft Build Online Time Machine
- New Payment Options Available From NewsDemon.com Newsgroups
- Limited Time Super Unlimited USENET Deal from NewsDemon
- USENET Post Reveals Tremendous Forecast Of Online Users
- USENET Stats Regarding Technology Sales
- USENET Finds The Force
- Happy Binary Day USENET
- Windows XP Turns 10 On USENET
- Is Microsoft Manipulating Ratings to Call IE the Safest Browser?