The NewsDemon Blog
By Lionel Dietz March 27th, 2012
According to USENET newsgroups, IBM’s Watson supercomputer is gathering a working resume that any oncologist would envy. In its latest project, the supercomputer will be used to to assist Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center physicians in diagnosing and treating patients.
When Big Blue debuted its lively computer on Jeopardy! last year, we knew it was only a matter of time before its abilities were used in the real world. And that starts with the hospital, apparently.
Watson can understand natural English and also process about 1 million books per second. With this enormous power, he was able to beat two of the all-time top players on Jeopardy!
Cancer treatment has become a lot more complicated over the last several years, and new methods of treatment are being invented all the time. Most physicians can’t keep up with everything, and it can take years for new treatments to become currrent. On top of that, few patients (Sloan Kettering says only about 15 percent) make it to specialized cancer centers in the first place.
With intelligent databases — and the computers to help sift through them — the hope is that technology can help disperse the most advanced knowledge available, without the patient skipping from specialist to specialist.
Subscribe to our blog!
- USENET Black Friday & Cyber Monday Preview
- Disk Failure Details
- Lifehacker Users Vote NewsDemon Top USENET Provider
- Do You Have Blazing Fast USENET Access?
- One Day Sale: Four Months Of Unlimited USENET for $20.14
- NewsDemon Black Friday 2013 Special Extended
- NewsDemon.com Newsgroups Grand Prize Winner Announced
- NewsDemon.com Newsgroups Holiday Giveaway Part 2
- NewsDemon Holiday Giveaway Winner For November 19th
- NewsDemon Holiday Giveaway Winner For November 18th
- NewsDemon Holiday Giveaway Winner For November 17th
- NewsDemon Holiday Giveaway Winner For November 16th
- NewsDemon Holiday Giveaway Winner For November 15th
- NewsDemon Holiday Giveaway Winner November 14th
- NewsDemon Holiday Giveaway Winner For November 13th
- NewsDemon Holiday Giveaway 2013 Starts Now
- NewsDemon Now Offers geo-DNS For Faster Connections
- NewsDemon Newsgroups 1TB Non-Expring Block Account Fire Sale
- NewsDemon Newsgroups Announces Upcoming Sale
- NewsDemon Newsgroup Announces 5 Year Binary Retention
- NewsDemon July Promotion
- NSA-Proof VPN Connections Available Through NewsDemon
- NewsDemon Now Offers Cosmos IP Addresses With SlickVPN
- Cable Company Admits To Data Caps On USENET Users
- IBM Leads In Nanotube Technology
- Minnesotta Outlaws Online Education
- UK Provider Virgin Media Offers Faster Speeds
- NewsDemon Now Offers 1500 Days Binary Retention
- New Computers Already Infected with a Virus?
- Canada Data Caps Affect Netflix and USENET Users
- Your ISP Could be Providing Faster Speeds than Advertised
- NewsDemon Offers Header Compression On All Newsgroups
- Google Enters the ISP Game, Offering Fast Access to USENET
- No Office 2013 Availability for XP, Vista, Mac Users
- Potential Breakthrough in Likely Discovery of Higgs Boson Particle
- New USENET Posted Study Looks at Teen Activity Online
- Internet Conceptualized in 1934?
- More Bits and Pieces from the Star Trek Sequel on USENET
- Solutions to Avoid Constantly Resetting Your Router
- Excitement Over Adobe Creative Suite 6 and Creative Cloud Releases
- World Wide Web Inventor Voices Privacy Concern On USENET
- Microsoft Pulls The Plug On Windows XP
- What Is Dr. Watson’s Contribution To Cancer Research?
- Microsoft Build Online Time Machine
- New Payment Options Available From NewsDemon.com Newsgroups
- Limited Time Super Unlimited USENET Deal from NewsDemon
- USENET Post Reveals Tremendous Forecast Of Online Users
- USENET Stats Regarding Technology Sales
- USENET Finds The Force
- Happy Binary Day USENET