Connections to USENET newsgroups are on the rise with faster connections reported worldwide. According to the latest Akamai State of the Internet report, global broadband adoption and speeds continued to grow in the fourth quarter of 2010. Asia continues to dominate the list of the fastest countries, but the U.S. is also showing improvement.
The technology newsgroups report, the data was collected from hundreds of millions of connections made to 84,000 Akamai Internet Platform servers in 72 countries every quarter, shows that the average connection speed in the U.S was 5.1 Mb/s, which was up about 9.2 percent from the same period in 2009. Also, more than 75 percent of U.S. connections to Akamai during the quarter were above 2 Mb/s.
Some of the highlights and figures from the report include:
- Taegu, South Korea ranked as city with fastest connection speed across the globe
- Russia was source of largest percentage of observed attack traffic in fourth quarter, 2010
- Average connection speeds increased in 162 countries year over year
- Average connection speeds on surveyed mobile networks fastest in Greece
In the fourth quarter of 2010, the report’s analysis of the top 100 fastest cities around the world, based on average connection speeds, reflected the following:
- Cities in Asia dominate the list, which includes 60 cities in Japan and 16 cities in South Korea
- Constanta, Romania remained the fastest city in Europe (#56 out of 100)
- Only 8 U.S. cities made the list. The state with the fastest average connection was Delaware at 7.2 Mb/s, and the U.S. city with the fastest average broadband connections was Riverside, Calif., at 7.58 Mb/s.
Because Akamai’s numbers are derived from a vastly deployed platform, they have been viewed as a trusted source for speed data, a much-debated aspect of the broadband reform discussion. Overall, Akamai reports that the UK showed a 9% quarterly increase on the highest recorded broadband connection speed at 16.1Mbps (30th in the world rankings). Akamai’s report shows that 22% of broadband connection speeds were above 5Mbps, ranking the UK 28th globally.
NewsDemon.com Newsgroups offers its members blazing fast connections to USENET newsgroups that usually cap many speeds available by their ISP. With constant upgrades to our multiple server locations to many of the countries fastest growing connections, NewsDemon.com Newsgroups continue to be a leader in providing the fastest connections for browsing and accessing newsgroups.